diy wall quote for a drab apartment

Monday, March 25, 2013

face it, student apartments almost always need a facelift, but it seems like more work than it's worth to do it on a budget. my sister and i have been living in apartments for years now, and both of us have tried lots of ways to spiff things up. this collaged wall quote has been one of our favorite projects to liven up our space.
equipment: 
a good, short quote - here are a few of my favorite quote boards on Pinterest {click here, here, and here}
magazines or catalogs - we like to use fashion mags or anthro catalogs because of the bold, colorful spreads they have, but any magazine will do. leah did one of her wall quotes completely out of ads, and it still looked great.
scissors
tape or sticky tack

choose your quote first. i usually go to pinterest and sometimes will have to abbreviate a quote to make it short. i would suggest keeping it between 4-6 words (trust me, you don't want to make it too long). if you're nervous about freehanding with scissors, you can sketch out your letters lightly and cut around them. whether you freehand it or not, just be sure to make each letter similar in dimensions with similar blockiness. it'll look silly if the legs on your K are skinnier than the tail on the E. 

like i said, you can use ads if you want and it'll still look fabulous. the letters become abstract looking since you can't see the whole image they were cut out of. depending on the colors in your room, you can go for brighter colors, muted tones, some black & white, neutrals, whatever floats your boat. i wanted mine to be bright since the quote ("wake with a winged heart") is about joy and optimism.

after you have cut them all out, hang them with sticky tack or tape and admire your abstract wall quote!
do you have any cheap and lovely ways to dress up a drab apartment?

xo,
jane

8 comments:

  1. This is so cute! It is the perfect way to add a little flair to an otherwise drab space. I am so glad I stumbled upon your blog! The design is wonderful and the content perfect. I will definitely be following you on bloglovin! xx. McKenna Lou
    www.lynnandlou.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea to brighten up a drab space! I definitely could not think of something like this on my own. Thanks for sharing your creativity!

    katieelizabethbaker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. sil this looks perfect. love love love. help me find a good quote for my room in the summer

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a simple but still very cute idea!Love it and I definitely can imagine it for a student apartment.
    Have you tried making your own vases?I`m gonna do a DIY soon,on how I made my own vases from old bottles I didn`t use anymore,so feel free to check it out soon!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! I also really like creating bunting with fabric scraps, a glue gun, and twine that can be pinned up with thumbtacks. Easy way to add some color for just a little cost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea. I'm sure a black and white would be stunning on a floored wall

    ReplyDelete
  7. A few inexpensive things I did to spruce up my apartment! Haven't made blog posts about them yet, but hopefully I'll get around to it soon.

    ->Paper doily wall décor: http://instagram.com/p/UmV13bqAvo/
    Paper doilies, cupcake liners, etc. and push pins

    ->Jewelry display: http://instagram.com/p/V5h-GWqAmH/
    Paint swatches and nails, then just hang your jewelry up.

    ->Curtains: http://instagram.com/p/UmVvYpqAvl/
    Got these suckers for $10 on sale at Urban Outfitters. Can't forget to check your favorite stores for sweet sale items!

    Kimberly
    kimberlyannmccarty.blogspot.com
    wayfarerrr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete