pride and prejudice

Monday, October 14, 2013


i have fallen behind on my book blogging. i read an insanely good book and get so excited to start the next one that by the time i finish that one i can't remember what i loved so much about the one before it. i like blogging about books. i like remembering what i read.

one of my goals on my 23 before 24 list was to read something by jane austen. i am not sure how i got to be 23 have never read anything by one of the most renowned/famous authors ever. it just so happened that i was over at a friends house going through her old photos when i came across this book. i asked if i could borrow it and then it sat on my shelf, begging to be read. i started p&p after i finished timeline by michael crichton. that book was a fast pleasure read. by now you're probably like... can you just get to the good stuff! the pride and prejudice amazing-ness?! alright alright.

I didn't realize how subtle the book would be. I think in matters of the heart, movies often make it seem grandiose and sweeping, when in real life it is by small acts that the greatest love is felt.

***SPOILERS if you haven't seen the movie or read the book***
summary:
Pride and Prejudice revolves centrally around one family, The Bennett's. More specifically it follows the witty protagonist Elizabeth. You see her watch her family grow and change. You see her analyze the world and remain fiercely loyal to those she loves. All in all- I think it is a story of hope.

what i liked:
Elizabeth is just the most striking character. She is so strong willed and full of wit! How refreshing she is as a protagonist. There is a moment in the book with Mr. Darcy confessions his adoration of Elizabeth and she completely refuses him. She was not caught up in his wealth or stature, she simply knew with her head what she had been told and what she had seen. That is real life people. Love is a little bit chaotic.

I think the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Bennet is understated and lovely. While Mr. Bennet does not particularly connect with his wife on an intellectual level, he knows he has made a commitment and does his best to support his family. He is a man of honor.

what i didn't like:
initially it took me some time to become familiar with the type of writing. the language is very different than modern day. eventually i was so engrossed it didn't matter, but in the up front i really had to focus.

mr. collins.

favorites quotes:

“In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.”

“I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.”

“I am only resolved to act in that manner, which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me.” (you tell her elizabeth... you tell her)

Rating out of 5 stars:
5/5

and now i have an intense craving for a movie night. ladies night?

6 comments:

  1. Haha how funny I just finished reading this for the first time last week. So random. I loved it as well. I've been dying to watch the movie ever since finishing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love P&P!! One of my favorite novels! I would definitely recommend you watch The Lizzie Bennet Diaries on Youtube! It's based on the story and it's utterly fantastic! I promise once you start watching you won't be able to stop! The company behind the Youtube series just started Emma Approved!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you believe that I've never read this book or seen the movies? I guess I better get on that ;)
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read that book! Thanks for sharing your insight on it! xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah, i love pride and prejudice! i also love the copy that you own, it's so cute!

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbitblog.com

    ReplyDelete