the way we think about charity is dead wrong

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Since starting my job in advertising I have had an amazing opportunity to work with Greater Chicago Food Depository. They are a food bank in Chicago that has incredible people working daily to solve hunger in Chicago. I cannot believe the generosity and kindness shown by these people. Did you know that 1 out of 6 people is food insecure? Let me say that again. ONE IN SIX PEOPLE IN AMERICA DOES NOT KNOW WHERE THEIR NEXT MEAL IS COMING FROM. Food-- something we need to survive. Before I started working on this project I had these people labeled. I assumed that their need came from inability to work hard. How wrong I was. How foolish I feel for thinking that way! How un-Christlike my attitude was.

What I have learned over the past five months has completely changed my outlook on those that need help. These are your neighbors, your friends. People that have, because of circumstances outside their control, fallen into a state of bad luck. Thankfully there are people and charities that dedicate their life to helping. People that are championing the cause to end hunger because having hungry people in our country is just unacceptable. 

I watched this TED talk and it really struck a chord with me. Please watch it. Share it with everyone you know. The way we think about charity is dead wrong. Find a charity somewhere that you believe in-- join a cause. If you have food in your fridge and bread on your table you are better off than so many. 




Are there any great causes that you are a part of? Please share. 

-harley.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree. I know there are swindlers out there, and people just looking to take advantage of the system, but that isn't my place to judge. Every dishonors thier very own soul, I will not damage my own by casting judgement. Do I have to catch myself from making a quick judgement call, sure I do - but we all can improve.

    Anyway - great post!

    I am a new follower from the Bloglovin' Collective. I am now following you on Bloglovin' and GFC & I can't wait to get to know you better.

    Melanie
    My Imperfect...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! They are such a wonderful organization. I work in adult education and family literacy and I am constantly amazed by others who have committed themselves wholeheartedly to fighting for justice here in Chicago. I just attended a meeting tonight full of educators planning for the future of Little Village and it was wonderful to be in the presence of such knowledge and passion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LISTENED TO THIS TED TALK A COUPLE WEEKS AGO AND I WAS SERIOUSLY YELLING OUT LOUD IN MY CAR I WAS AGREEING SO MUCH. (I had to yell.)

    ReplyDelete