journal prompt // campfire

Monday, October 29, 2012


Jane:
The other night we were at a neighborhood Halloween party. There was a spider cake, pasta salad, ginger ale, pumpkins to carve, and a self-contained fire log. It's one of the strangest things I've ever experienced, 10 kids gathered around a burning log who have never seen a fire wilder than the one on their gas stove. We were roasting marshmallows for s'mores (from a s'more kit--something I've also never seen before), and I was dodging red-tipped roasting sticks and being asked to hold gooey marshmallows for the ones who didn't want sticky fingers. One four-year-old ran away sobbing when she got smoke in her eyes, and most of the kids didn't ever get the hang of holding the marshmallow close enough to the flame to cook but far enough to prevent it from getting barbecued.

3 comments:

  1. this post makes me a little bit sad for some reason. maybe the fact that kids don't go outside or camping with family anymore. my siblings and i knew how to roast a perfect marshmallow by the time we were old enough to walk! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S: you need to make your calligraphy into a font! it is perfect. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenna,

      That's so nice of you! I'm actually in the process of making my handwriting a font, so looks like you read my mind on that. And as far as camping and campfires go, I completely agree with you. It might just be the divide between city and country, but it does make me sad for all the kids who don't know how to roast a perfect marshmallow or who have never experienced the fun of sleeping in a tent with siblings.

      Jane

      Delete