9/11

Sunday, September 11, 2011

I woke up and turned on the radio like I used to every morning when I was in 6th grade.
Jackie and Bendar on kiss 106.1.
But this morning was different.
I turned the radio on and their was no laughter.
No Music.
Just Jackie talking about buildings in New York that were on fire.
I was so confused.
Was this a joke?
What was happening?
Why were planes crashing?
My little 12 year old mind couldn't understand the gravity of the situation.
I ran upstairs and my mother was sitting on the couch watching the news.
She looked really upset.
I turned to look at the boxy TV set that we had.
There was a tall skyscraper with smoke billowing out of it.
I was frightened.
My mom told me that everything was going to be okay and that I should go get ready for school.
So I did.
I got on the bus and went.
But hardly anyone was there.
Only 13 kids showed up for class that day.
My teacher, Mr. Swanson, left the news on all day.
The image of those two buildings burning and crumbling is etched into my mind eternally.
The reporters kept tallying all of those who had lost their lives.
We didn't get to go outside for recess.
I remember thinking about how glad I was that I lived all the way on the west coast and that my dad worked from home.
When I got home my mom sat down with all of the kids and tried to talk to us about it.
She was scared, but trying to be brave for our sake.
I loved her for that.
When I went to bed that night I prayed to God that he would protect my family.
That he would protect my country,
And that he would bless all the little girls my age that had lost their parents that day.

Thank you to all those brave men, women, and children who have served our country in one way or another. I sleep better at night because of the sacrifices you have made.
Today is not a day to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment