heaven is here // book review

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

This image is by Danyelle from Dandee blog. I could have gotten a generic photo from the internet of the book, but I really liked her sweet capture of it.

 I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to read this (also--I'm finally checking "read a biography/memoir" off my better-late-than-never 22 Before 23 list). Provo, Utah (her hometown) was my home for 4+ years, her kids go to school with my cousins, I met her sister once, the reasons go on and on. I should have read this years ago, and now I'm telling you to go get it from the library and set aside your weekend to do nothing else.

Heaven Is Here
By: Stephanie Nielson
Pages: 308
Genre: Biography
Jane's Rating: 8

Stephanie Nielson (creator of nieniedialogues.com) built a beautiful, charming life with her husband. She wore aprons to do laundry, her little children played together in their backyard treehouse, and her husband kissed her hello when he came home from work. She and Christian decided to take a quick small-plane trip one weekend, but something went wrong on the way back--the plane went up in flames and crashed with them inside. With help from the angels, Stephanie and Christian got out alive, but with severe burns.

Her incredible recovery, which was infused with faith, hope and love for the family that never gave up on her, is both chilling and inspirational. It'll make you realize how glorious and fragile your own life is, and how many blessings you overlook every day.

Favorites:
  • I had learned that doses of quiet joy like that can be brief, but their effects are long lasting and often carried me through the busy and challenging times of running our household.
  • It felt biblical to have the women who had always loved and nurtured me come to acknowledge my new role. I felt bound to them in a deeper way as I thought about loving and nurturing my own family. I was one of them now.
  • As we talked he told me to be proud of my scars. "We look for Christ's scars because they are evidence of what He did for us. They'll be the the first things He shows us when we see Him again. Your scars tell a story, too. Although they may not make you feel attractive, they are a witness of a miracle, that God blessed you to live, and that you have accomplished very difficult things."
  • As I gradually accepted my responsibility to choose happiness every day, I rediscovered the beautiful life I had always wanted.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book!!! (and also the John Green one you reviewed before this one) ... After I read this book, I came across a piece in USA Today that so many private plane crashes are not pilot error or weather, but poor manufacturing - like GM with the ignition switches ... it made me sad and angry and - it made me want to read this book again, too ...

    ReplyDelete