Divergent

Thursday, December 29, 2011


My 14 year old sister read this book for school and told me that I should give it a shot. This whole dystopian style of writing is apparently extremely popular. 

{I don't know if this is the time to tell you, but I really didn't like the Hunger Games. Violent anyone?}

She is was in the middle of writing a report so the book was full of sticky notes containing her thoughts. I am not sure what I liked more-- the book or climbing inside my little sisters brain for a second.  That being said, lets talk book. 

The Jist: 
In sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior's world, society is divided into five factions -- Abnegation (the selfless), Candor (the honest), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent) -- each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue, in the attempt to form a "perfect society." At the age of sixteen, teens must choose the faction to which they will devote their lives. On her Choosing Day, Beatrice renames herself Tris, rejects her family's group, and chooses another faction. 

Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. 

Pros: 
Easy peasy fun read- who doesn't like thinking about the world at its end?
I like the main character and her mom. She is dead strong
Mr. Love interest is basically a dream boat
Plays with the idea of virtue and what it really means

Cons:
I feel like I have kind of read this before... aka Matched/Crossed and Hunger Games. The world is at it's end and so people do crazy stupid things ahhhhhhhhhh!

This book almost has a five star rating on Amazon... so maybe for a more in depth review go there, but as for me it was just kinda fun. Nothing super life changing. Or maybe I am just lying to myself because I stayed up until 3 am reading youth literature. Either way 3 stars!  Huzzah.

★★

No comments:

Post a Comment